Marilu serves as the corporate controller for WGPITTS and affiliated companies. Marilu is responsible for implementing the company's accounting policies and procedures and the maintenance of the company’s financial records, and the preparation of financial reports. She is responsible for cash management functions and oversees accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash disbursements, payroll, and bank reconciliation functions. Prepares financial analyses of related operations, including interim and final financial statements with supporting schedules, for the guidance of management. She also maintains supervision over accounting, and budgetary controls. Responsible at the corporate level for coordinating and managing the corporate budget, corporate banking, and cash flow planning.
Marilu started her career as a staff accountant for Arthur Anderson working with the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. As a staff accountant she was part of the Business Processing Outsourcing team working with a wide range of major business clients. Responsible for A/R, A/P, tax reporting, financial statements, and bank reconciliations. Select clients included Microsoft, Merisant and Coca-Cola. Worked collaboratively with the Information Technology team to set-up an SAP ERP Solution.
Marilu comes to WGPITTS as an accomplished Corporate Controller and Sr. Level Accounting Management Professional with proven success developing, implementing, and directing all aspects of the accounting and finance function. She is a tactical thinker who creates value through cost reduction, strategic budget planning, and operational improvement and implements directives achieving sustainable fiscal health for a corporation. Fluent in the latest laws, principals, and methodologies in US GAAP accounting. Strong foundation of ethics and high degree of integrity.
Other strengths include Background includes significant work in the construction industry.
- Strategic Financial Planning Budgeting, Forecasting and P&L Revenue/Profit Optimization
- Financial Modeling/Planning & Risk Management Operational & Financial Analysis Cash Flow Management
- Technology/Management Information Systems Internal Audits/Controls & Reporting Credit Management
- Capital Expenditure Analysis, Planning & Funding Financial Statements & Reporting Regulatory/SEC Compliance
- Process Improvement Strategy Implementation Bilingual: English and Spanish Human Resources/Benefits
Prior to joining WGPITTS, Marilu has had significant experience in the construction industry was a key member of a large contractor management team where she was responsible for the evolution and execution of the corporate Finance and Operational strategy, as well as the safeguarding of company assets. Areas of accountability encompass business plans, strategic planning/execution, financial systems, reporting, system improvements, internal controls, forecasting, cash flow, budget management, payroll, workers’ compensation audits, 401K administration, and staff management. Report directly to the Vice President of Operations with full P&L accountability.
- Protect the company’s assets by implementing tight internal controls, ensuring accurate financial trends analysis and projections, and generating alternate ideas and suggestions to improve operating
- Conduct month-end closes including WIP report for over 100 projects, financial ratios, account reconciliations, and adjustments.
- Work closely with the CPA in reviewing financial
- Ensure the annual and ongoing compliance with government and regulatory
- Implemented an improved inventory system saving more than 23%
- Championed the implementation of Salesforce software for the
- Designed communication workflow between all departments dramatically improving
- Implemented procedures which optimized inventory and job
Marilu is also principal and owner of a specialty of a construction industry accounting firm Construction Accounting Services located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Marilu is a CPA in Colombia, she earned a Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance from La Salle University - Bogota, has a Master degree from Florida Metropolitan University and is an Enrolled Agent with the United States Internal Revenue Service.